A scheme aimed at training Denbighshire taxi drivers to spot evidence of child sex abuse has been hailed a success.
Denbighshire County Council say 340 drivers have attended compulsory courses to tackle exploitation since they were introduced last year in the wake of the Rotherham abuse scandal.
But eleven drivers in the county have been warned they could have their licences suspended or revoked unless they attend training. Councillors are due to consider several options on taking action against drivers who fail to comply – including licence renewal applications and meetings.
A report, due to be discussed by a licensing committee in Ruthin on Wednesday, says feedback to the scheme has been positive and officers are considering launching an online course in conjunction with children’s charity Baranado’s.
Seventeen sessions involving police, social services and licensing officers have been held since the mandatory training was introduced – a similar scheme in neighbouring Conwy county was the first of its kind in North Wales.
Last year, the council said it had carefully considered the findings of The Jay Report into the grooming and exploitation of over 1400 girls in Rotherham between 1997 and 2013. Eighteen men and two women have so far been jailed for rape, assault, false imprisonment and conspiracy to secure prostitutes.
The scandal also led to the resignations of Rotherham council leader Roger Stone and South Yorkshire police and crime commissioner Shaun Wright.