Local News & Archive — July 25, 2016 at 8:07 pm — Updated: July 28, 2016 at 2:51 am

Rhyl nightspot to appeal after losing licence


Google Street View

The owners of a Rhyl nightspot say they will appeal a decision to revoke its right to serve alcohol.

Denbighshire councillors revoked Bar Bow’s licence following a number of incidents, including violence and drug dealing. It had also refused to join the local PubWatch scheme.

But after the hearing on Monday, management said it would challenge the decision and the Water Street venue was staying open for the time being.

The licensing review was called last month by North Wales Police after a spate of incidents over the past 18 months – including the assault of a female footballer outside the bar by John Roberts, who was jailed for two years.

CCTV footage of several incidents were also shown to the licensing committee – including a woman being glassed during a fight, a flasher dropping his trousers and entering the ladies’ toilets, the presence of underage drinkers and suspected drug-dealing and drug taking in the men’s toilets.

Police said they had no confidence that the management would be able to run the bar properly, despite efforts to try and support them. An action plan was sent to the licensee last month by police and council officials, but was never acted upon.

The solicitor for Bar Bow said it was prepared to close for 28 days to refurbish and relaunch with a change in licensee. Winston Brown said they admitted it was a wrong decision not to join the Pubwatch scheme or apply any of the Rhyl Rules as the venue had become a ‘magnet for troublemakers’.

The supervisor for the premises, Jessica Lane, said there had been massive changes to tackle its problems, including hiring a Manchester-based firm to provide more efficent security.

But the committee ruled against the venue, saying that staff and customers had been put at risk and management did not take note of professional advice. They noted that recent steps had been taken to restore order, but felt it was ‘too little, too late’.

On its Facebook page, Bar Bow denied press reports that it was closing down as a result of the decision and would stay open while it appealed the decision to revoke its licence. Management have 21 days to lodge their challenge.


Source: Daily Post

Leave A Comment Using Facebook (Website Comment Form Below)

Use the form below to post a comment via facebook

Comments are closed.

69 queries in 1.814 seconds.