Local News & Archive — January 6, 2017 at 2:04 pm — Updated: January 6, 2017 at 2:04 pm

One year on: Liam Hill murder remains unsolved


Family photo courtesy: North Wales Police

It’s a year to the day since Liam Hill was last seen alive in Rhyl town centre. His body was discovered by his mother at his flat on West Parade two days later.

Detectives believe the 44 year-old was murdered – but one year on, the investigation into his suspicious death remains unsolved.

On the anniversary of Mr Hill’s death, his family have made a fresh appeal as police officers working on Operation Panatella release more information on his last known movements in another attempt to track down his killer.


  • 3pm – 6:50pm – Liam walks to Corbett’s Bookmakers, Bodfor Street, Rhyl, to bet on horse racing. He was wearing a dark blue waterproof jacket, which finished just below the waist.

CCTV pictures: North Wales Police

  • Liam walked from Bodfor Street and across Wellington Road to the Bar Bow pub on Water Street, where he was drinking lager. He was described as appearing to be drunk.

CCTV pictures: North Wales Police

  • A man matching Mr Hill’s description was seen walking from Bar Bow towards West Parade in the direction of River Street, heading for his home address on 70 West Parade.
  • Mr Hill was seen by neighbours at 7pm at the foot of the communal stairs in the building. He needed to be helped to his feet and taken upstairs to his flat.
  • On the night of his last known movements, Everton were playing Manchester City in the first leg of the League Cup semi final at Goodison Park – Everton won 2-1.

Mr Hill was found dead in his flat by his mother at just after 1.45pm the following Friday afternoon.

A post-mortem examination ruled that Mr Hill had suffered severe head, lower and upper body injuries in a ”deliberate and sustained attack”. A month later, a 46 year-old man and a 41 year-old woman were arrested in connection with the murder but later released without charge. A £10,000 reward for information from Crimestoppers went unclaimed.

In a short statement, Mr Hill’s sisters Colette and Joyce said: ”Although a year has passed, we all still miss Liam terribly. On behalf of us all, we’re asking anyone with any information whatsoever, no matter how insignificant they think it is, to come forward, tell the police and help us seek justice for Liam.”

DI Arwyn Jones, deputy senior investigating officer, added: ”We still believe this inquiry is localised but we still need that vital piece of information that will progress our investigation. We are particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has any information in relation to Liam’s walk home from the Bar Bow pub on 6th  January.   Police family liaison officers are still deployed to Mr Hill’s family and keeping them abreast of the investigation, and on the families’ behalf, we’d implore anyone with information to come forward as soon as possible.”

Anyone with information should contact the St Asaph incident room on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 and quote Operation Panatella. Alternatively, contact the police control room via the live web chat.

Leave A Comment Using Facebook (Website Comment Form Below)

Use the form below to post a comment via facebook

Comments are closed.

73 queries in 1.049 seconds.