Man in hospital after Rhyl assault

Share this story:
Google Street View

Google Street View

A man is in a stable condition in hospital after an overnight attack in Rhyl town centre.

Part of Sussex Street was cordoned off by police after the assault near the Jean Emporium store at just after 3.30am on Friday morning. The scene was examined by crime scene investigators during the day.

The man was taken to Ysbyty Glan Clwyd in Bodelwyddan – police said on Friday evening his injuries were not thought to be life threatening.

Officers have appealed for anyone with information to call 101, quoting reference no. U111687.

Share this story:

Police probed over Llandudno taser standoff

Share this story:

policelogo

Police in Llandudno have been referred to a watchdog after a man was tasered during a standoff.

A 24 year-old local man, reportedly carrying a knife, was involved in a domestic incident at a house on Bryniau Road on Wednesday night.

Officers arrived at around 10.15pm that evening and tasered the man during a confrontation. He was taken to Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor with a head injury, but later transferred to the Royal Stoke University Hospital – his condition deteriorated overnight.

DCI Jason Devonport said they were aware some eyewitnesses were near the scene at Bryniau Court and appealed for anyone who witnessed the incident to come forward.

North Wales Police also confirmed on Thursday they had referred the incident to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Last week, the force also referred itself to the IPCC after the body of Penygroes woman Emma Baum was found at her home. A man accused of her murder, David Davies, is due to go on trial in November.

Share this story:

Local Nature Reserve for Rhuddlan

Share this story:

Picture 10

Natural Resources Wales have designated their first Local Nature Reserve in Wales.

What was once a dumping ground is now an impressive Green, Clean and Safe place for both the local community and visitors to the town of Rhuddlan.

To celebrate the designation an opening event is planned for Friday 29th July 1pm – 5pm at the Rhuddlan Nature Reserve and where photographic opportunities will be available.

In 2009 a decision was made to transform what was a derelict area of land into a Nature Area.

An agreement was drawn up by the late Raymond Fagan and Denbighshire County Council who are the owners of the land and where it was agreed that the development would be guided via a Management Advisory Group (MAG).

The group ensures that all local stakeholders have an opportunity to have their say and decisions are reached by a general consensus – this an excellent example of local democracy in action. It is chaired by Anita Fagan who can rely on a broad membership and expert knowledge base.

Councillor Barbara Smith said: “This local democratic process has certainly been successful and the site has slowly developed into an impressive green open space and a haven for wildlife.

“The Management Advisory Group and the County Council should be very proud of what they have achieved.

“The biodiversity value of the site has been increased through habitat improvement and creation and this natural interest is shared with the local community and visitors via interpretation panels and leaflets.

“Community involvement is essential to the success of the project.  Regular volunteer programs are drawn up giving everyone the opportunity to be involved and to help improve their local environment.

“There is genuine support for the project and tasks in the traditional art of hedge laying and wildflower meadow creation provide the ideal focus to harness this enthusiasm which in turn will instil a sense of ownership and community pride.”

 

Share this story:

Man admits Rhyl takeaway attack

Share this story:
Google Street View

Google Street View

A court has been told there was ‘bad blood’ between two men involved in an attack in a Rhyl takeaway.

Dale May, from Llannefydd, nr. Denbigh, pleaded guilty to kicking and stamping on Carl Reeves in an assault last March. A second attacker is still at large.

Llandudno magistrates heard Mr Reeves was left bruised and sore by what happened – but May (21) denied that he also headbutted him.

The defence said the ‘serious’ and ‘sustained’ attack came about through a chance meeting at the takeaway. There had been ill feeling between May and his family and Mr Reeves.

May, who is unemployed, received a suspended twelve-week jail sentence and was told to pay £200 compensation to Mr Reeves and a further £700 in costs. He also faces a two year restraining order, including rehabilitation, and an overnight curfew for six weeks.

 

Share this story:

Pensioner’s scaffold climb sparks Glan Clwyd inquiry

Share this story:
Google Street View

Google Street View

Health chiefs are investigating how a pensioner managed to climb on scaffolding at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd.

A 75 year-old man had to be rescued on Monday evening, after he was spotted scaling the scaffold at the Bodelwyddan hospital, where work on a redevelopment scheme has been taking place. Fire crews managed to help the man climb down.

Management at Glan Clwyd said they were very concerned by what happened and were trying to find out how the man managed to reach the construction area.

An urgent investigation involving contractors and the Betsi Cadwaladr health board is continuing.

Share this story:

Rhyl pensioner found guilty of rape

Share this story:
Google Street View

Google Street View

A West Rhyl man has been found guilty of raping a woman in her flat.

Vernon Henshaw was told to expect a jail sentence after he was convicted of sexually assaulting his victim as she lay unconscious in the kitchen of her Colwyn Bay home in April 2015.

The 67 year-old from West Parade denied the rape bute was found guilty by a jury at Caernarfon Crown Court at the end of a three-day trial.

The court heard Henshaw, who is deaf and blind in one eye had been selling off tobacco and cigarettes cheaply – and his victim had been interested in buying from him.

She found him on the doorstep when she returned home on 27th April 2015, but refused to allow him into the flat, having previously made unwanted advances.

But Henshaw made his way into the flat after one of her pet cats had escaped – she opened the door and left the front door open. She only realised he was in the house when he used his hands to squeeze tightly around her neck, causing her to faint.

The woman found herself face down on the floor when she regained consciousness as Henshaw raped her. She told him to stop and Henshaw left, telling her she would return the next day. He was told that police would be informed – and Henshaw was arrested on the same day.

When interviewed, Henshaw claimed he had been invited into the flat for a cup of tea – and had known the woman for around four weeks. He had suggested they live together and engage in casual sex – allegations denied by the victim when cross examined.

A jury of seven men and five women returned a unanimous guilty verdict against Henshaw. The judge, Mr Recorder Paul Lewis, adjourned sentencing until a later date and released Henshaw on bail.

 

 

Source: Daily Post

Share this story:

Police investigate alleyway assault in Rhyl

Share this story:

windsorstreet

North Wales Police are investigating after a man was assaulted in Rhyl on Sunday 17th July 2016.  Investigating Officer PC Adam Wilson at Rhyl Police Station said…

“Sometime between 8.30pm and 9.30pm on Sunday 17th July a local man aged in his 20’s was walking in an alleyway between Kinmel Street and Windsor Street Rhyl when he was attacked by unknown assailants who inflicted a number of injuries which fortunately are not serious.

“Unfortunately he was unable to get a good description of his attackers but from initial enquiries we are keen to trace two men believed to have been in the area at the time.  I’d also appeal to anyone else who was in the area or who knows anything about the assault to contact Police and help us piece together exactly what took place.”

If you can assist with this investigation please contact North Wales Police on 101 or via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 and quote RC16105222.   Alternatively, contact the control room direct via the new web live chat /contact/chat-support.aspx

Share this story:

Emma Baum murder: trial date set for November

Share this story:
Family photo (North Wales Police)

Family photo (North Wales Police)

A man accused of the murder of Emma Baum in Gwynedd is set to go on trial in November.

David Nicholas Davies was charged last week with killing the mother-of-one in Penygroes. Her body was found with serious head injuries in the garden of her home on Llwyndu Road.

Davies (25), from Clynnog Fawr near Trefor, spoke only to confirm his name when he appeared at Mold Crown Court on Tuesday morning. No application for bail was made and he did not enter any plea.

Ms Baum’s relatives were in the public gallery while Davies sat silently, flanked by two security guards.

Judge Keith Thomas, appearing via videolink from Swansea Crown Court, remanded Davies in custody. A plea hearing will take place in October before the trial is due to begin at Caernarfon on Monday 7th November – it is due to last for a fortnight.

Share this story:

Rhyl crash: inquest into ‘devoted’ mother’s death opens

Share this story:

North Wales Police

An inquest has opened into the death of a St Asaph woman after a two-car crash in Rhyl earlier this month.

The family of Cecilia Alexandra McKinnon-Groves, known as Alex, described her as a ”much devoted mother” to two children. Originally from Sweden, she had moved to North Wales in 1997 after meeting her husband while on a college placement in Wrexham.

The 42 year-old – a family support manager for Hafan Cymru – was walking along Russell Road on Thursday 14th July, when she was caught up in the crash involving a silver Toyota GT and a silver Volkswagen Polo at around 5pm.

She was taken to Ysbyty Glan Clwyd in Bodelwyddan and later transferred to the Royal Stoke University Hospital, but later died from her injuries.

In a statement released on Monday, Mrs Groves’ family said: ”Alex was a very hard working, caring, and peaceful person, who loved above all else her family life, and always looked forward to spending quality time with her children. It goes without saying that her family are devastated by her sudden loss, and she will be truly missed by all.”

The inquest in Ruthin heard a Home Office pathologist had found Mrs Groves died from crush injuries to the chest – coroner John Gittins said because a police investigation was continuing, the full inquest would be adjourned until a later date.

Officers from the Roads Policing Unit in St Asaph are still appealing for witnesses to come forward.

 

Source: Daily Post

Share this story:

School boiler work closes St Asaph leisure centre

Share this story:

St Asaph’s leisure centre has been forced to close for four weeks because of ongoing building work at a nearby school.

Denbighshire County Council said it would not be safe to keep the centre open while contractors replace boilers and the heating plant at Ysgol Glan Clwyd, where work on a £16 million revamp is continuing.

The leisure centre is now closed until Thursday 18th August. It will partially reopen at 4pm the following day, when the cardio room, main hall and all weather pitch will be available. The rest of the facilities will reopen at 4pm on Friday 2nd September.

The council apologised for the disruption, saying it did not take the decision lightly. They added that membership holders with Denbighshire Leisure will still be allowed access to other facilities across the country – including nearby lesiure centres in Rhyl and Denbigh.

Work on the new expansion at Ysgol Glan Clwyd is due to be completed early next year.

Share this story:




74 queries in 1.516 seconds.