Local News & Archive — January 26, 2017 at 12:46 pm — Updated: January 26, 2017 at 12:46 pm

New plans for Denbighshire travellers’ sites

by
Share this story:

New accomodation for gypsies and travellers is set to be created in Denbighshire under new council plans.

Denbighshire County Council says it is already looking to buy suitable land to form the county’s first permanent residential site, along with a transit site for four or five pitches for those travelling throughout the country.

The council says it will send a formal response to the Welsh Government’s call for all local authorities to assess the accommodation needs of gypsies and travellers by the end of next month.

Councillor Hugh Irving said illegal camps on council and private land – particularly in North Denbighshire – would continue if the authority did not take a ”proactive approach”.

He added: ”We fully recognise the need and duty to review accommodation issues for gypsies and travellers…resolving unlawful encampments will inevitably result in costs for the council, and providing facilities for residential and transit accommodation would certainly help address this issue.”

Denbighshire Council had previously pledged to work together with neighbouring Conwy County Council in an effort to develop dedicated travellers’ sites as part of a joint assessment.

In 2015, plans for a transit site at the Smithy Layby in St George were rejected in 2015, following a backlash from local residents. At the time, the Travellers Movement said some of the residents’ objections had demonized Welsh gypsies.

Share this story:

Leave A Comment Using Facebook (Website Comment Form Below)

Use the form below to post a comment via facebook

Comments are closed.





61 queries in 1.773 seconds.