Local News & Archive, North Wales Police — May 12, 2016 at 10:27 am — Updated: May 13, 2016 at 9:54 am

Liam Hill murder: two people released without charge

Family photo courtesy: North Wales Police

Family photo courtesy: North Wales Police

[responsivevoice_button voice=”UK English Female” buttontext=”Listen to Post”]

Two people arrested in connection with the murder of Liam Hill have been released without charge.

A 46 year-old man and a 41 year-old woman were questioned in February after detectives stepped up their hunt for Mr Hill’s killer. They answered bail on Wednesday and will face no further action.

Mr Hill’s body was discovered by his mother at his West Parade flat in Rhyl on Friday 8th January – the father-of-one had been last seen at the Bar Bow pub on Water Street two days beforehand. A post-mortem ruled the 44 year-old died from severe head, lower and upper body injuries, as the result of a ”deliberate and sustained attack” by one or more people.

Last week, road checks were carried out near Mr Hill’s home by officers working on Operation Panatella – 69 people were questioned on West Parade in a fresh effort to establish his last known movements.

On Wednesday, members of Mr Hill’s family visited North Wales Police headquarters in Colwyn Bay to meet with detectives. They also released new photos and issued their own fresh appeal.

Family photo courtesy: North Wales Police

Family photo courtesy: North Wales Police

Mr Hill’s mother, Cath Hill, said: ”Liam and I were very close, I saw him practically every day as he would call on me to check I was OK. Growing up, he was a proper lad who liked climbing trees and getting up to mischief. He supported Liverpool and he loved his football and going on holidays with Joyce. He was a very caring person and if ever he saw anyone in distress, he’d always try and help them, he’d never just walk by.”

His niece, Lynette Whitfield, added: ”We won’t rest until we know what’s happened. And what’s to say this won’t happen again? Whoever’s done this is still roaming the streets.”

The youngest of four children, Mr Hill was born in Liverpool and moved to the Wirral a year later, attending St Mary’s Catholic School in Wallasey.

He moved from Upton to Rhyl with his mother, who stayed with him for a year – but the father-of-one remained in North Wales for around a decade.

Liam Hill's family meeting Operation Panatella chief DS Mark Chesters

Liam Hill’s family meeting Operation Panatella chief DS Mark Chesters.

DS Mark Chesters said more than 600 exhibits had been gathered and over 300 house-to-house inquiries had taken place since day one of the murder hunt: ”We have a significant number of officers involved in this enquiry. We are looking at every possibility as to how he may have been assaulted and will continue to pursue every line of enquiry. What we can say is from him leaving the pub and getting to his home address, something has happened and that’s what we’re concentrating our efforts on at the moment and that’s also why we are focusing our attention around the vicinity of his home address.”

Two days before he was found dead, Mr Hill was caught on CCTV walking along Bodfor Street between 3.15pm and 3.30pm – he was wearing black denim jeans and a dark blue Columbia embossed jacket. He visited the Bar Bow at around 6.30pm that evening – before Everton played Manchester City in a league cup semi-final – and was last seen near his home around 40 minutes later.

Anyone with information should contact the St Asaph incident room on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 and quote Operation Panatella. Alternatively, contact the police control room via the live web chat.


Leave A Comment Using Facebook (Website Comment Form Below)

Use the form below to post a comment via facebook

Comments are closed.

72 queries in 1.086 seconds.