Denbighshire News, Local News & Archive, North Wales Police — December 12, 2016 at 10:14 pm — Updated: December 12, 2016 at 10:14 pm

Denbighshire County Council is warning people to be aware of a scam relating to credit cards.


Telephone scam warning – residents urged to be vigilant


A Rhyl resident has been in touch with Denbighshire Trading Standards after receiving an automated telephone call at his home, stating  “Alert, Alert, your credit card has been compromised, please press 1 to resolve”.

The caller hung up and checked with his credit card provider who advised that was a scam call.

The Council is issuing the following advice relating to telephone scams:

  • did the call come out of the blue?
  • stop, think and be sceptical. If something sounds too good to be true it probably is
  • do not give personal or financial information or pin numbers to anyone, however plausible they might sound. This applies even if they claim to represent a business or organisation you have heard of or where an approach is personalised
  • genuine businesses or organisations will never telephone you and ask you for personal or financial information
  • think about how much money you could lose responding to a potential scam; it’s a risk not worth taking
  • if you receive a call that you suspect is bogus, speak to family or friends or seek advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service
  • If you receive a scam telephone call, you can report it to Action Fraud. You can also report it to the Citizens Advice consumer service for referral to trading standards.
  • If you are conned into phoning a premium rate number, you can report it to PhonepayPlus, which regulates premium rate services in the UK.
  • If you enter a contract because a trader misled you or because a trader used an aggressive commercial practice, the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 may give you rights to redress: You can report complaints about unfair trading practices to the Citizens Advice consumer service for referral to trading standards. However, it may be difficult to take legal action against a criminal.
  • If you think your details have been shared unlawfully you should report it to the Information Commissioner’s Office for further investigation.
  • If you have been the victim of a fraud you can report it to the police.
  • If you think your identity has been stolen please follow the guidance given on the Action Fraud website


To contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service, please phone 03454040506 or  Action Fraud – 0300 123 2040  website


Leave A Comment Using Facebook (Website Comment Form Below)

Use the form below to post a comment via facebook

Comments are closed.

66 queries in 1.042 seconds.