Local News & Archive — July 7, 2017 at 3:27 pm — Updated: July 7, 2017 at 3:27 pm

David Kingsbury murder: family reacts to sentencing


Family photo: North Wales Police

The family of murdered Old Colwyn man David Kingsbury have paid tribute to a ”happy, go lucky and caring person”.

It follows the conviction of Dean Cody, who was jailed for life on Thursday for stabbing the unemployed labourer in the heart in Old Colwyn in January. Three Colwyn Bay men – including Cody’s father, Stephen – were jailed for assisting an offender.

In a short statement on Friday, Mr Kingsbury’s family said: ”It has been six months since this devastating event and not a day goes by where we don’t think of David…he loved life and lived it to the full. We will all miss him terribly. David will always be in our hearts as we try to live our lives without him.”

They added: ”Grief is the most intense pain and all consuming. We pray that no other family will have to face such suffering as a result of a heinous crime. We would like to thank North Wales Police, family, friends and all others who have supported us throughout this traumatic time.”

At the end of a two-day sentencing hearing at Caernarfon Crown Court, the detective who led the murder inquiry said he believed Mr Kingsbury bared no threat to Cody, despite his claims of self defence.

Detective Chief Inspector Arwyn Jones said he was ”extremely happy” that Cody had been brought to justice for a ”senseless crime”. Speaking of the other three convictions, he said it was ”clearly evident” that they ”were determined to assist Cody in evading the police”.

Dean Cody, who must serve at least 21 years in prison before being considered for parole, had been released from a jail sentence for burglary for just six weeks when he attacked Mr Kingsbury after intervening in a row with his girlfriend. He had 98 convictions stretching back to 1998, including unlawful wounding, affray, actual bodily harm and dishonesty.

Cody’s girlfriend, Susannah Buckley, also stood trial for assisting an offender but was cleared by the jury on Wednesday after three hours of deliberations.

Leave A Comment Using Facebook (Website Comment Form Below)

Use the form below to post a comment via facebook

Comments are closed.

67 queries in 1.094 seconds.