Local News & Archive — February 24, 2017 at 12:32 am — Updated: February 24, 2017 at 12:42 pm

Colwyn Bay pier: inspectors examine storm damage

by
Share this story:

Conwy County Council

Health and safety officers are inspecting the latest damage to Colwyn Bay’s Victorian pier in the aftermath of ‘Storm Doris’.

Another 100 yards at the lower end of the Grade II structure collapsed on Thursday amid strong winds and high tides – just three weeks after another section at the seaward crumbled into the sea.

Conwy County Council said they were still monitoring the pier and inspectors would return to the site at low tide if it’s safe. The coastguard has also been informed.

Last week, the council voted to dismantle and store some of the pier’s historic sections in an emergency effort to preserve it. 

But the Conservative AM for Clwyd West, Darren Millar, said the council needed to work quickly before more damage is caused: ”Today’s storm is one of the worst to hit North Wales in recent years so the further partial collapse of Colwyn Bay’s pier comes as no surprise.”

”Once the weather settles, the council must work quickly to arrange for the dismantling the rest of the pier before further damage is caused by the weather and the sea. Leaving the pier in this state cannot be an option.”

Previously, Mr Millar also called on the Welsh Government to support the council’s plan to dismantle part of the pier. An application to demolish it was rejected two years ago following a legal battle over its ownership.

Share this story:

Leave A Comment Using Facebook (Website Comment Form Below)

Use the form below to post a comment via facebook

Comments are closed.





58 queries in 1.871 seconds.