Local News & Archive — February 3, 2017 at 2:37 pm — Updated: February 4, 2017 at 8:53 am

Colwyn Bay pier collapse: ‘sabotage’ claims rejected

by
Share this story:

Conwy County Council has rejected claims that sabotage led to the partial collapse of Colwyn Bay’s Victorian pier.

Engineers have been carrying out a salvage operation after part of the lower end of the Grade II structured crumbled into the sea on Wednesday lunchtime.

The council, which owns the pier, said there was ”absolutely no truth” in allegations that deliberate sabotage by the local authority or anyone else had led to the collapse.

A spokesperson said: ”Over recent years, the council has been quite clear about the deteriorating state of the pier and the significant risk it posed to public health and safety. Specialist engineers have been commissioned during that period to carry out structural assessments and all but emergency access is denied.”

They added: ”Fencing has been in place around the structure for some time for public safety and we urge the public to take note of the situation and keep away from the area.”

The pier, which closed in 2008, has been at the centre of a long-running legal battle – in October 2015, the High Court rejected a bid by businessman Steven Hunt to regain ownership. Earlier that month, the Welsh Government rejected Conwy County Council’s application to demolish the pier.

Share this story:

Leave A Comment Using Facebook (Website Comment Form Below)

Use the form below to post a comment via facebook

Comments are closed.





61 queries in 1.727 seconds.