Counter terrorism officers have raided a property in Chester in connection with last week’s Manchester terrorist attack.
Cheshire Police said no arrests were made in the search at an undisclosed address early on Monday and there was no direct threat to the public. Patrols are being stepped up in the city to provide extra reassurance.
Another raid was also carried out on a house in the Whalley Range area of Manchester while a 23 year-old man was arrested in Shoreham-in-Sea, West Sussex in connection with the bombing.
Twenty two people – including seven children – died when a bomb was detonated by Salman Abedi at the end of an Ariana Grande concert last Monday.
A total of fourteen men are being questioned in connection with the ongoing investigation, including two men arrested in Gorton and Old Trafford on Sunday.
Detective Superintendent Aaron Duggan from Cheshire Police said: ”This morning’s activity will understandably cause concern within the local community and I want to reassure residents that as part of the on-going investigation there will be an increased police presence in the area.”
Officers will be visible in Chester over the next few days providing reassurance and if any members of the community have any concerns then I would encourage you to speak to local officers. We will continue to work closely with our communities by carrying out patrols over the coming weeks and addressing any concerns they may have.”
Meanwhile, a man was jailed for fourteen weeks after he disrupted a vigil in Wrexham town centre on Friday night. Steven Ellis (49) shouted obscenities during a minute’s silence and was sentenced immediately when he appeared before magistrates on Saturday.
Superintendent Rob Kirman from North Wales Police said: ”The immediate sentencing of this man demonstrates that this type of behaviour will not be tolerated in North Wales.”