Local News & Archive — August 12, 2014 at 5:16 pm — Updated: August 12, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Arthur Jones death: inquest opened

by
Share this story:

arthurjones

An inquest has been opened into the death of Denbigh pensioner Arthur Jones in Crete.

The body of the 73 year-old was found under a tree in a remote rural part of Chania, over six weeks after he had been reported missing. The hearing in Ruthin was told that Greek authorities had ruled out foul play but investigations into how Mr Jones died were continuing.

The alarm was raised when Mr Jones, a keen walker, failed to board his return flight home, having told his family in a postcard that he was planning a walking trip. Over 30 local detectives and volunteers combed the area on foot, aided by two North Wales Police officers and Phil Benbow, the chairman of the North Wales Mountain Rescue Association.

Mr Jones was found dead by a local man on Sunday 3rd August, but a surgeon had opined he had died within the latter part of last June. The body was returned home to the UK last Thursday.

The senior coroner for North East Wales, John Gittins, adjourned the inquest until a later date, yet to be determined due to complex issues involving dealing with a foreign jurisdiction.

Meanwhile, a book of condolences for Mr Jones was opened at the Plas Pigot Club in Denbigh on Saturday at an event celebrating his life. £2,300 was raised for the Arthur Bootsie Fund, set up to aid in the search. Mr Jones’ funeral service will be held at St Mary’s Church on Friday afternoon, followed by a private burial.

Share this story:

Leave A Comment Using Facebook (Website Comment Form Below)

Use the form below to post a comment via facebook

Comments are closed.





70 queries in 2.008 seconds.